January 19, 2006

The Lost Doll

On Harsha's blog dated 14th January, she shows her lovely Cross Stitch piece called The Old Doll -> link to her blog (http://shinyscissors.blogspot.com/). I still have fond memories of the first doll my mother gave me. It brought to mind a lovely poem from my childhood book "A Treasury of Poetry" by Hilda Boswell, which I still have and enjoy reading from time to time. I have added a couple of the illustration from the book, as the pictures are just wonderful and bring each poem to life. I am thinking of writing to Cross Stitch Gold and asking if one of their designers (Maria Diaz or Sue Cook perhaps) could create a chart for it, as I am sure they could do it justice. Or maybe, will see a designer at Olympia Stitch exhibition in March.

Isn't it a touching photo of the girl, who is overjoyed at finding her doll again, even though it is dirty and broken. I think its a lesson on how people can love each other, no matter what their outer appearance is....

Happy Thursday, all !


The Lost Doll
I once had a sweet little doll, dears,
The prettiest doll in the world;
Her cheeks were so red and so white, dears,
And her hair was so charmingly curled.
But I lost my poor little doll, dears,
As I played in the heath one day;
And I cried for her more than a week, dears;
But I never could find where she lay.
--oOo--
I found my poor little doll, dears,
As I played in the heath one day;
Folks say she is terribly changed, dears,
For her paint is all washed away,
And her arms trodden off by cows, dears,
And her hair not the least bit curled;
Yet for old sakes' sake she is still, dears,
The prettiest doll in the world.
--oOo--

3 comments:

Sasha Farina said...

ohhh Ali! Thats so beautiful! Thank you for sharing! *hugs*

Anonymous said...

Looks like working from home makes you all sentimental...

If you want to stitch that picture, just borrow my software. designers might not be able to do that for you, with copyrights and all... plus as a designer, they want to create their own stuff !!!

I don't remember my very first doll, it must have been one of those annoying baby types.

But my first important doll was Rasberry from the Strawberry Shortcake collection. I carried her around everywhere. And she's now displayed in my living room along with her friends...

I had to fight with my mom as a kid as she tended to throw away old dolls, when it didn't mean I didn't love them anymore ! Ah, the heartache before I learned to hide them ;)

Kim said...

That is a beautiful sentiment and the pictures are so pretty. They would definately make pretty cross stitch pictures.